Laptop Lifestyle! What is it? Why should I care? How do I get it?
These and many other questions concerning the ‘Laptop Lifestyle’ way of living today I will be covering in this short article.
I did not have the 9 to 5 job that most people had, no, I worked for the military and albeit the majority of the hours were from 7 to 4, there were plenty of times I worked into the evening.
And during any crises like flooding or ice storms, we would work full 12 to 16 hr days including weekends for weeks on end. Then there were the exercises that were always held during the fall and winter months.
Missing birthdays and anniversaries were a common thing in our home.
I did finally get tired of having someone else running my life and that’s when I had to start looking at other options and one of the options that did come up was the laptop lifestyle.
Now four years later and I wouldn’t change a thing with my laptop lifestyle especially with the feel of freedom from tied to a job.
Recently many of us have gotten a taste of that life with COVID forcing many to work from home.
Isn’t so bad is it? In fact, many have became to enjoy it.
The benefits of working from home are:
- No more daily commute
- No boss breathing down your neck
- You get to choose your own hours as long as the work gets done.
- Some even work in their comfy pj’s.
This experience had led many to seek out other ways to work from home and give up the daily commute to that job in an office.
We want to work our way, on our terms, and where we choose to work.
So how can I make an income while kissing that daily office commute goodbye forever?
What is a Laptop Lifestyle anyway?
Quite simply a laptop lifestyle is taking advantage of the power of the internet to work remotely or create a business online for an income stream. When done right it will also create a residual income for the rest of your life.
This laptop lifestyle would allow you to live the type of lifestyle you wish to live.
It will give you the freedom to:
- Be your own boss,
- Make your own hours,
- Eliminate the daily commute,
- Reduce stress
- Have the potential of an unlimited income
- Create a residual income for the rest of your life
- Build a business that can be sold for thousands and even millions
- Travel where ever there is an internet connection
- Which leads to becoming much happier.
Sounds great, doesn’t it?
Ok, So what’s the catch?
I mean nothing is free in this world right?
Everything has a cost!
Yes, it is true it has a cost however so does that job in the office.
That job has a huge cost…
It costs time away from your family, less time to pursue things you love doing, stress piled on stress and that never-ending daily commute, but the pay is great, right?
Maybe that pay is not great but it pays the bills.
What each of us ultimately has to decide…
… “is the benefit worth the cost?”
Ask yourself if that job is worth the frustration and stress. The daily commute back and forth and the time away from your family makes it very difficult to go to work.
When I couldn’t be there when my family needed me the most it hurts a lot and I just couldn’t focus on the job any longer.
For some people, that job is what they enjoy and that is great because that is what they want.
A laptop lifestyle is not for everyone just like not everyone enjoyed working that day job from their home for whatever reason.
Some people prefer to carve out their own path which is also great.
I know a couple that lives on their sailboat all year long and doesn’t have a job.
I always wanted to do my own thing. I never quite fit in anywhere because I always had trouble sticking to the rules. I had to ask questions, see if there was a better way. March to my own beat so to say.
Once I started pursuing my own interests, things just sort of fell into place and I haven’t looked back. I had no guidance so I had to figure it all out on my own. And now I live the lifestyle I choose.
I love what I am doing and because of that, it doesn’t really seem like work. And everything I put into my own online business comes back 10 fold later. It just keeps building up the more I do.
We are having the time of my life working together as a couple build the life we always dreamed of.
Each day is full of fun and adventure. We are learning and growing and our days are what we decide to do but we always try to get at least a couple of hours of work in.
Sometimes we work at home and sometimes we are out on our sailboat working while anchored somewhere.
It may not be everyone’s dream but it is ours and we couldn’t be happier.
Types of jobs suited to the laptop lifestyle
There are many opportunities available to someone who is truly interested in pursuing their own path and living the laptop lifestyle.
Here are a few popular options:
- SEO expert
- Web developer
- Graphic designer
- affiliate marketer
- Social media expert
Another popular option is to find a job that offers the flexibility to work remotely.
Also consider, if you have been asked to work at home because of COVID why not ask your boss if you can continue to work remotely. You will still have a boss but you will be working from home and that may be all you need.
Naturally, your boss would only be receptive to this if you were able to maintain productivity when you did work from home.
Don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Opportunities are literally everywhere, you just have to open your eyes and your mind to the endless possibilities.
How to Make the Laptop Lifestyle a Reality
So you have decided you want the laptop lifestyle for yourself and you are asking “What now?”
The first thing is to decide do you want your own business or do you want to work either your current job or a new job remotely.
If you want to work remotely you first need to ensure you have what you need in order to effectively work remotely.
- Do you have the tools you need in order to do the job?
- Do you have internet access?
- Is your job capable of being done outside the office?
- Do you have the work ethic to be able to stay on a task outside the office?
- Remember you will need to be flexible. Sometimes you may need to go to the office to meet a client or attend a staff meeting.
Once you have seriously addressed all these questions and you still feel working remotely is for you then schedule a meeting with your boss to discuss the possibility.
Point out to him the advantages to him of you working remotely.
Your own Business
Building a lucrative career or business takes time to become profitable.
I know Tim Ferris has teased entrepreneurs with his “Four hour work week” where he teaches that you can build a business that you only work four hours a week to maintain and it pays you handsomely for years to come.
While you may be able to maintain that business with four hours a week, I highly doubt you can build it with that.
Building anything takes time and effort.
This is why choosing something you love is so important.
As with any business, it takes massive amounts of effort upfront to pay off later.
You need to love what you are doing so much that it doesn’t seem like work.
Start by making it a hobby. Test the waters. Start small.
Keep your day job and start building your business as a side-hustle.
Once your online income matches or exceeds your pay you can considerer quitting your job and going full time into your own business.
I can certainly attest to being so much happier and living with so much less stress since I began living the laptop lifestyle.
Since you are reading this article you know that I have chosen to be a blogger and affiliate marketer.
I have tried many things through the years but finally found what I consider to be the best training and hosting platform for building an online business. You can check it out here.
Tips for living the laptop lifestyle
Most of us were raised to follow the traditional career path. Go to school, get an entry-level job and work your way up the proverbial corporate ladder.
While the laptop lifestyle goes against those traditional values, it does seem to be much more suited to today’s world.
More and more businesses are stepping their online presence while diminishing or even eliminating their brick and mortar shops/stores.
In hopes of helping others prepare themselves to be better able to prosper in this new digital world, that I offer these helpful tips.
- Ensure you take any necessary courses related to efficiently operating a computer. Know your way around the most popular programs.
- If your particular job requires courses make sure you have taken them.
- Know yours why. It can be challenging to work remotely or start your own business so having a thorough understanding of why you wish to pursue this is important.
- Have a strong work ethic. Working remotely does not mean you have a vacation, you are still required to get the work done timely.. Likewise, you can’t build a business if you don’t put in the effort.
- Just do it. Show up at your laptop every day and do what you need to do.
- Set aside a designated work area so that you can ‘leave work’ at the end of the day.
- Set working hours and stick to that schedule as much as possible. Be sure to let friends and family know your working hours so they can learn to respect your time and only visit after work hours.
- Take regular breaks. If you were going to the office you would have regular breaks. Working from home is no different. Our minds need that break so takes it. Just be sure to get back to work afterwards.
- Get regular exercise. Regular exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle. It also is a great stress reliever. So if you are feeling frustrated, take a break and get outside for a brisk walk. It will help clear the mind and you can feel much more focused when you go back at it.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. The brain works best when it is fed properly. It is very difficult to work through hunger pains.
Here are my final thoughts on What is a Laptop Lifestyle.
While most of us believed working at home through the COVID isolation period was temporary.
Many workers are finding they enjoy not having to commute every day and learning they can be just as if not more effective working remotely.
Many businesses have discovered the many benefits of having remote workers and a stronger online presence.
I believe the world is changing at a rapid rate and if we don’t arm ourselves with the necessary skills to function and thrive in the digital world we will be left unemployed and unemployable.
We see all around us many local businesses closing their doors, some been around for many years while even stores just a couple of years old closing. Shopping is done online today and a lot more in the future.
The time to get started with your very own online business couldn’t be better…
Why not take the plunge now and learn the necessary skills to move forward and develop your own laptop lifestyle that falls in line with your goals and dreams.
Click here to check out My #1 recommended training program for newbies getting started online.